Exclusive: My Father Likes Women- DJ Nana

Popular Disc Jockey mistress, DJ Nana is referred to as Nigeria’s first female DJ. Under the mentorship of veteran DJ Jimmy Jatt, Nana as bagged several awards and has been nominated for several categories within the country.
DJ Nana

Also known as Nana Ahya Mohammed, in an interview with , DJ Nana speaks on her challenges as a female DJ, her background, inspiration among others.

Can you tell us about yourself?
Aside being a DJ, I am super shy, I can hustle and can laugh for Africa. When you see me dress up is not who I am because I am comfortable in my bathroom slippers my Jalamia.

Tell us a Little Bit about Your Background?
My primary education was in Abuja and then I attended St Joseph Secondary School Lagos and proceeded to Lagos State University (LASU), and National Open University till date. However, I am trying to make up my mind to stay there or to leave because being a DJ is bringing money but school is taking it away and yet they are clashing but we are still there for now. Ask me in the future I will tell you if I ended up finishing or I went to the money way. But for now we are struggling and the struggling is real. I have sibling I can’t count them now they are scattered here and there because my father likes women too much. “I no shame talk am if him like make him hear e too like woman.”

Why decide to be a Disc Jockey?
The fact that I love music gave me the courage. I use to dance but it was not bringing in money. Initially I got into law school but I was not feeling fulfilled, so I decided to get the certificate for my parents and pursue my own dream later. Along the line, I met someone who is a DJ and I followed the calling. I am just grateful for where I am today.

Do you feel intimated by male DJ’s in the industry?
Well for one I am a female by look but every other attributes has nothing to do with the girl, so it’s safe to say that if any intimidation is going on is not from somebody to me, is from me to somebody.

We know we have a lot of female DJ now so what is your own unique selling point?
The fact that I am who I am and nothing is going to change from what I brought into the entertainment.

Talking about your fashion what inspires them?
The quest of being different is what inspires my dressing because once the wind blows you will find something. I am not one of the first female DJ in Nigeria. I am the first female DJ in Nigeria as of when I came into the music industry a lot people have come and taken over.

What inspired your dream to be a DJ?
The inspirations came from an Instagram picture and immediately I told myself “why not we start working with this why not we start working with that”. There I went back to my drawing boards, I cooked it, boiled it and dropped it and here we are.

So what have been the challenges so far?
Like any other job, they all have their own challenges. The first thing Jimmy Jatt taught was not to see my chosen career as a challenge because it is an industry dominated by men. As my mentor, he said as a girl I should see it as we are all striving for success and there would be ups and downs. That alone has kept me going.

How much has being a female DJ fetched you?
It pays the bills.

What would you never be caught wearing?
That would be wearing a “bra and pant” in public. I believe they are supposed to be worn underneath the clothes not the other way round.

Even when you go to the beach will you take picture and post it?
Even if I have pictures I doubt it will be made public I have not lost my morals. I still feel shame and guilt and we do not know when we are going to die so you have to be careful about the legacy you leave behind. I am here as a female DJ and I also want to be known as a human being so what I put out there is what the world would see me as.

So are you in a relationship?
Yes I am in

Would you like to share with us?
No

Why?
Because we might not end up getting married people will start counting.
Born in May 1990, DJ Nana has played at A-list events such as AY Live concert, First Nigerian Idol, British American Tobacco Concert, Rhythm Unplugged, MTN 10th Anniversary, Kings of Comedy Concert to mention a few.

Source: Naij

0/Post a Comment/Comments