Lupita Nyong’o Shines On Second Vogue Magazine Cover, Talks Racism And More

Following her breakthrough role in the widely acclaimed 12 Years A Slave, Lupita Nyong’o has continued her cruise in Hollywood, landing a second Vogue Magazine cover in a little over a year.
 
After playing a slave role in the Oscar-winning drama, she went ahead with stunning red carpet displays and a radiant dark skin to earn her place in the fashion circle as a force to revere. Little wonder she was People magazine’s Most Beautiful Person for 2014, an acknowledgment that Beyonce got in 2012.

Mikael Jansson photographed the actress’ 2014 Vogue appearance in which she looked resplendent in a J. Crew swimsuit, Yossi Harari cuffs and a pair of heels by Prabal Gurung.
“It just feels like the entertainment industry exploded into my life. People who seemed so distant all of a sudden were right in front of me and recognizing me—before I recognized them!” she told Vogue’s Hamish Bowles in the 2014 interview.

“For a split second I looked behind me to see who they were flashing at—and it was me!
“That was, I think, the beginning of the end of my anonymity,” she said.
For her 2015 appearance on the prestigious magazine however, Nyong’o looks resplendent in a gold Valentino couture dress with red and black details.

“AAAAAAAAH. At last I can share this secret: my second Voogue cover is out!!! What an honour, joy and THRILL it was to work on this October issue. Thank you to @voguemagazine for hearing me out and making me feel so beautiful,” she said of the new Vogue cover, via her Instagram account.

The exclusive had her talking about growing up in Nairobi; Kenya, the nostalgic memories of designing her clothes herself, the affordability of personally making than buying clothing in her homeland and more.

“Salons were a big feature in my life. We would go every two weeks to get our hair braided, washed, or treated. That’s where I read American, British, and a few African magazines. Then I would design my own clothes. In Kenya it’s much cheaper to get clothes made than to buy them. We would have everything run up by a tailor, or my aunt Kitty, who is very creative, would sew things for me,” she said to Vogue’s Plum Sykes.

The 32-year-old hasn’t had it all smooth in her sojourn to stardom. She recounts moments of racial discriminations both in Nairobi and in the United States.

While auditioning to get on mainstream media in her early years, “she was told her skin was ‘too dark’ for her to be on television,” she told Vogue. But she wasn’t deterred in spite of this. “It didn’t ring true. I just thought, I need to find another way,” she said.
At 20 she relocated to America and it was a sort of continuation from where the critics left off with her in Nairobi.

“I never used the word black as a child. It was never a thing. When was I ever discussing black? Why?
“I realized that my skin color was making some people see me differently,” the actress said.
These days, however, things are not the same for the Oscar-winning actress.
She is off the shackles of color barrier and limitations, blazing the trail in her industry today, living the superstar life in Brooklyn.

“I definitely feel there’s a lot of America in me.
“The idea that you can be self-made is very vibrant in America. You can do anything that you want to do. That spirit pushes you on,” she finished.

See pictures of the actress below:
Lupita Nyong'o in blue-petaled gown from Givenchy, Credit: Vogue
Lupita Nyong’o in blue-petaled gown from Givenchy, Credit: Vogue
Lupita Nyong'o photographed in Paris at the Schiaparelli House and the Picasso Museum. Credit: Vogue
Lupita Nyong’o photographed in Paris at the Schiaparelli House and the Picasso Museum. Credit: Vogue
Lupita with mother, Dorothy Nyong'o. Credit: Wire Image
Lupita and mother, Dorothy Nyong’o. Credit: Wire Image
Lupita  showing posters of two major Disney films she is set to star in, Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens and The Jungle Book. Credit: Instagram
Lupita showing posters of two major Disney films she is set to star in, Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens and The Jungle Book. Credit: Instagram
Watch Nyongo’o answer 73 questions from the magazine’s wardrobe department below:
















Nyongo earned her big role in the Steve McQueen-directed movie, 12 Years A Slave, shortly after graduating from the Yale School of Drama in 2012. She is of a mixed parentage, partly Kenyan and Mexican.

0/Post a Comment/Comments