Damien Duff: Former Chelsea forward retires from football

Duff started from the Blackburn youth team 20 years ago before going to Chelsea

Damien Duff retires at the age of 36 Damien Duff retires at the age of 36 (AFP/Getty Images)


Former Chelsea and Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff has announced his retirement from football.
The 36-year-old started from the Blackburn youth team 20 years ago before going to Chelsea where he won to Premier League titles, an FA Cup and League Cup
Damien Duff played for Chelsea Damien Duff won two Premier League titles at Chelsea (Reuters)
Damien Duff (left) started his career at Blackburn Damien Duff (left) started his career at Blackburn (Daily Mail)

He later played for Newcastle, Fulham before moving to Australia and back home at Ireland playing for Melbourne City and Shamrock Rovers.
For Ireland, Duff played 100 times, playing at the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2012.
Damien Duff has 100 caps for Republic of Ireland Damien Duff has 100 caps for Republic of Ireland (INPHO)

After much deliberation, I have today decided to bring my professional football career to an end,” the forward said in a statement released by his club Shamrock.
My heart wants me to continue playing but my body has finally won the battle and told me to stop.
I would like to thank everyone who has helped me along the journey from schoolboy football in Dublin and moving to England as a teenager right up to today.
I am extremely proud to have won 100 caps for my country - it was always my greatest pleasure to represent Ireland and I have many magical memories from my international career.”
He revealed that he will be pursuing his coaching badges which he has already started.
Watch this Damien Duff's video, below:


0/Post a Comment/Comments