Emmanuel Ikubese Talks Career, Women And Pet Project

Nigerian model and actor Emmanue Ikubese speaks on his run as Mr. Nigeria 2014 and his campaign against domestic violence.
Emmanuel Ikubese and Shuga co-actors Dorcas
 Fapson and Chris Attoh.

Speaking exclusively to The Nation, the TV star who
plays a part in popular MTV series Shuga, said the
 series helped his campaign against violence on women.

ADVERTISING
He said: “Being part of Shuga is actually one thing that helped me with my campaign on domestic violence because I feel that if we can achieve success in Shuga while campaigning for HIV and AIDS, success can also be achieved in domestic violence. I have seen how much Shuga has helped in creating awareness and how much it has educated people. I’m trying to use the same approach for my RAW campaign. I want something that will immortalise me when I’m no more.”

Ikubese, who was previously based in Kenya as a student, also talked about life in the East African nation. He explained that it wasn’t exactly easy getting into the entertainment mix in Nigeria.

He said: “It was really tough. I finished school in 2010. I was acting, hosting events and organising shows. I had a career, a very big one in Kenya. But I told myself, if I have to give up all of these to come back to Nigeria, then I have to be sure that I already have a place here. So, I come home every December to try it out and just see what is going on. But if it’s not worth it, I run back to Kenya. By 2015, Shuga was launched and by the third season, it was getting a lot of momentum as people actually got to know me. So, I decided to take advantage of that and it gave me couple of roles in movies until Mr. Nigeria came. My fear was what people would say if I didn’t win it. But I prayed about it and it came to pass.”

The graduate of International Relations said he decided to get a career off modeling whilst in Kenya to ease the financial burden on his parents.

“I started modelling, worked as a DJ, and so on. I think I emulated my mum because she’s an MC. She hosts events. I learnt how to DJ while I was doing stuff with her during my holidays. I use to Disc Jockey all Nigerian music in Kenya because there is no Nigerian song in Kenya.
“I did that for a while before I started organising events, performing and I eventually started making my own music. I released an album, did songs with top Kenyan artiste, and I even did a song with Timaya. Anytime Nigerian artistes are in Kenya to perform, I usually perform last. So, that’s how I met a lot of them,” he said.

He calls his campaign Project Raw saying it is an awareness to help women hence reducing the incidence of domestic abuse.

“Most women are still not aware that there are things to be put in place for victims of domestic violence, places where they can go and get help and many more. The Help is an avenue; we are aiming to have a rehabilitation home where we can have counselors to assist victims of domestic violence by talking to them and get them back into the right shape of mind, while the ‘Advocacy’ is the campaign proper.

“We intend to work with law enforcement agencies that would help bring justice to victims in the hands of perpetrators. We are also going to partner with the media who will also assist to bring it to the light of the public and we will also be organising ‘RAW Day’ across all major schools and university campuses in the country,” he said.

Speaking on the reason he is passionate about helping the conditions of women the dark skinned model-turned-actor said: “I just love women; they are amazing, beautiful beings that actually need to be protected. I have an amazing relationship with my mum and I will not tolerate it when another man tries to hit my mum. I also have a beautiful sister and I can’t imagine seeing her in such a situation. Women are very vulnerable, so it’s easy for them to lose their lives in the process.”

Emmanuel Ikubese is from Delta State and plays Femi in the MTV TV series, Shuga.
He was the winner of the Mr. Nigeria contest in 2014 and has risen into prominence in the Nigerian entertainment space ever since.

Source: Naij.com

0/Post a Comment/Comments