Chelsea are a massive club that win trophies like Barcelona... I don't regret my decision, says Pedro as he returns to Spain


Chelsea's new signing Pedro was given a rapturous send off by his former team-mates on Monday at Barcelona's training ground as he said goodbye after ten years at the club.
Leo Messi, Neymar and Gerard Pique were among about 20 players who crowded into the press room and applauded their team-mate as he brought to a close a career that has seen him win 20 trophies alongside them.
The players also whistled when reporters asked Pedro if he felt it was a betrayal to join Jose Mourinho – a question he neatly side-stepped speaking only of the welcome he had been given at Chelsea and the conversation with the Portuguese coach that persuaded him to move to London. 
Chelsea forward Pedro returned to Barcelona on Monday to say goodbye to the club after joining Chelsea last week
Chelsea forward Pedro returned to Barcelona on Monday to say goodbye to the club after joining Chelsea last week
Pedro spoke at Barca's training ground to say farewell to all those connected with the Catalan club
Pedro spoke at Barca's training ground to say farewell to all those connected with the Catalan club
Andres Iniesta (left) Lionel Messi (centre) and Sergio Busquets were in attendance to hear Pedro's farewell
Andres Iniesta (left) Lionel Messi (centre) and Sergio Busquets were in attendance to hear Pedro's farewell
Pedro had his son Bryan in attendance on Monday
As too did Messi - with his son Thiago
Both Pedro and Messi took their sons Bryan (left) and Thiago (right) to Monday's farewell press conference
Barcelona squad and Pedro pose for one last group photo as a memento for the latter's departure 1)  Messi, 2) Thomas Vermaelen, 3) Sergi Roberto, 4) Sandro, 5) Gerard Pique, 6) Munir, 7) Marc Bartra, 8) Jordi Masip, 9) Jordi Alba, 10) Pedro, 11) Busquets, 12) Jeremy Mathieu, 13) Iniesta, 14) Claudio Bravo, 15) Ivan Rakitic, 16) Aleix Vidal, 17) Rafinha, 18) Neymar, 19) Adriano, 20) Luis Suarez, 21) Javier Mascherano
Barcelona squad and Pedro pose for one last group photo as a memento for the latter's departure 1) Messi, 2) Thomas Vermaelen, 3) Sergi Roberto, 4) Sandro, 5) Gerard Pique, 6) Munir, 7) Marc Bartra, 8) Jordi Masip, 9) Jordi Alba, 10) Pedro, 11) Busquets, 12) Jeremy Mathieu, 13) Iniesta, 14) Claudio Bravo, 15) Ivan Rakitic, 16) Aleix Vidal, 17) Rafinha, 18) Neymar, 19) Adriano, 20) Luis Suarez, 21) Javier Mascherano
Pedro and former team-mate Neymar pose for a selfie after being reunited together on Monday
Pedro and former team-mate Neymar pose for a selfie after being reunited together on Monday
Pedro's last game for Barca came on August 17 in the Spanish Super Cup second leg against Athletic Bilbao
Pedro's last game for Barca came on August 17 in the Spanish Super Cup second leg against Athletic Bilbao

Pedro pats the Barcelona badge after his winning goal against Sevilla in the UEFA Super Cup on August 11
That piece of silverware was the last the forward won with Barcelona - during a trophy-laden career there
That piece of silverware was the last the forward won with Barcelona - during a trophy-laden career there



He said: 'There were some big clubs in for me. There was interest from [Manchester] City and United but it was Chelsea that moved the quickest and were the most decisive. It's a massive club. They win trophies just as Barca and I don't regret the decision at all.
'I like what Mourinho told me when we spoke. He said that he wanted to make the club stronger and that I would be able to help him do that.
'I leave this club [Barcelona] with my head held high. I take with me all the memories of being part of this marvellous club and of its history.
'There have been great times, I have scored in many finals. I take with me those times of euphoria and happiness.
'I don't think Barca will miss me because they have plenty of quality players, but I will sure miss them, the players and the club.


'Of course I would have liked to have stayed at Barca and retire here. That was my intention when I signed my contract extension. But I've taken a gamble because it's what I wanted.
'I wasn't going to stay here just to appear on the photo.'
Pedro was accompanied by his wife Carolina and their two-year-old son Bryan who shouted 'Papa' throughout the farewell press conference and played on the floor at Messi's feet with the Argentine's son Thiago.
Pedro said moving to London was also a factor in his decision and praised the welcome his team-mates have given him. 'John Terry has always impressed me as a captain. He has that very strong mentality and that always impacts on you when you play against Chelsea and he and all the players have been fantastic since I arrived.' 
Asked by Sportsmail if he had already prepared a song for his inevitable initiation ceremony he said: 'Not yet. I think I have to sing something tomorrow [Tuesday] but I have no idea what it will be.'
Last Thursday, Chelsea completed the signing of  Pedro from Barcelona for £21million on a four-year deal
Last Thursday, Chelsea completed the signing of Pedro from Barcelona for £21million on a four-year deal
The forward celebrates as he scores on his debut against West Brom for Chelsea at the Hawthorns on Sunday
The forward celebrates as he scores on his debut against West Brom for Chelsea at the Hawthorns on Sunday
Pedro wheels away in celebration after giving Chelsea the lead against West Brom with a goal on his debut
Pedro wheels away in celebration after giving Chelsea the lead against West Brom with a goal on his debut
The 28-year-old (centre) was congratulated by his new team-mates after giving the Blues the lead
The 28-year-old (centre) was congratulated by his new team-mates after giving the Blues the lead

In an emotional speech but without the tears that so often accompany send-offs from Spanish clubs Pedro paid tribute to former team-mates Victor Valdes, Carles Puyol and Xavi Hernandez and said that team would have no problem surviving his departure.

'I'm sad to be leaving this great group but I want to play,' he said. 'I knew that I could stay here and that if I did I would have been fine but I knew there was also an option to leave. Saying goodbye to my marvellous team-mates is the hardest thing. I been here for ten years and it's a strange situation.'

Reflecting on his superb debut at the Hawthorns on Sunday he said: 'It felt strange yesterday [Sunday]. People here know that I would have happily retired here but Chelsea are a big club and this is a great opportunity to experience another league. I love the back and forth nature of English football and I love the atmosphere inside the stadiums.'

Pedro could be back at the Camp Nou this season if Chelsea draw Barcelona in the Champions League but the 28-year-old said: 'I would rather it didn't happen. If it does then it will be a strange and emotional day. It would be hard to play against the people who had supported me for so long wearing another shirt.'
Pedro was given a standing ovation when replaced after scoring on his debut during a hard-fought victory
Pedro was given a standing ovation when replaced after scoring on his debut during a hard-fought victory
Pedro was a constant threat for Chelsea and proved to be too hot for West Brom to handle on many occasions
Pedro was a constant threat for Chelsea and proved to be too hot for West Brom to handle on many occasions
As well as his goal, the Spain international also provided an assist for Diego Costa during an impressive debut
As well as his goal, the Spain international also provided an assist for Diego Costa during an impressive debut

0/Post a Comment/Comments