Bright Omokaro: Watching Okwaraji Die on the Pitch Was Traumatic


220515F-Bright-Omokaro.jpg - 220515F-Bright-Omokaro.jpg
Bright Omokaro
He is known for his no nonsense approach on the pitch. But looking at him now, he does not depict the player that sent shivers down the spine of attackers with his hard tackles both locally and internationally during his playing days. Bright Omokaro is however strongly of the opinion that he would have stopped mercurial Argentine super star, Lionel Messi, if he were still playing active football. He talks to Kunle Adewale on a number of issues
"Defenders of today give strikers too much room to operate and do not create fears in their mind. If I were to be playing actively now, I’ll stop Lionel Messi. He (Messi) has many things to think about but my job as a defender is very simple and that is to take the ball away from him," Omokaro said. When reminded about how the Argentine made a mess of German international, Jerome Boateng during the semifinal of the UEFA Champions League between Barcelona and Bayern Munich and how exceptionally fast the four times World Footballer of the Year is, the former Bendel Insurance of Benin defender retorted: “As long as he does not carry a power bike, he can’t beat me.” It's unfortunate that you'll see some footballers now who wear weird hair style with studs in their ears. Such looks doesn't in any way project a footballer in a positive note," said Omokaro.
According to Omokaro football runs within the family, his father played for the then Midwestern State “And that was where I took up the game, it was more of hereditary. All my brothers played football, though; they never got the limelight.”
The fearsome defender realised his football talent as early as 1973 and from then on, he knew what he wanted for himself and he gave the game everything he had. So, it never came as a surprise to him when in 1977 he was invited to the first ever Flying Eagles and from there, he went on to play for the Super Eagles. 
  If there is one competition Omokaro would never forget in a hurry, it is the 1988 Africa Cup of Nations tagged 'Maroc 88', where he was nicknamed '10-10' as a result of a vicious tackle on an Algerian attacker. During the semifinals between Nigeria and Algeria, the Eagles were one man down, no thanks to a red card to Ademola Adesina, and were under serious pressure. But a crunchy tackle from Omokaro at an Algerian attacker reduced the Desert Warriors to 10 men after the North African side had completed the maximum two changes. (Teams were only allowed to make two changes then)
"Each time I'm on the field I, tried to give my maximum best, and the match against Algeria was one match I thought I needed to rescue the country and that was why I did what I did to make sure we defeated the Algerians,” he said.
Asked if it never crossed his mind that the tackle might maim the player for life and thereby ruin his football career, Omokaro said: “I don’t care the effect of my tackles; what matters to me most is victory for my side at the end of the day. It’s not that I really go out to ruin the career of my opponent, but it’s just that any time I go for a tackle, I am always very hard. I derived a lot of joy in winning because people love to associate with winners and if it demands that I should kill to win I wouldn’t hesitate.”
In spite of everything, Omokaro never took his football career outside the shores of the country. "Professionalism was something that was lacking in our football then and it was not until some New Nigeria Bank players had problems with the then Nigeria Football Association in which about six of the team's players were suspended and the likes of Stephen Keshi and Henry Nwosu left for Ivory Coast, which eventually opened the floodgate for professional football in Nigeria. I had some contracts to consider but somehow it didn’t materialise and I accepted my fate," he said.
On how he was able to cope with pressure from the fans of Bendel Insurance when he left them for NNB, he said: “It was a very big problem then but because my grandmother was very close to the palace of the Oba of Benin. The fans of Insurance could not encroach into my house. Even, Humphrey Edobor that we left the team at the same time had to seek refuge in my house. We really had it hot, in short it was terrible. The supporters did everything to ensure we return to Bendel Insurance, but we stood our grounds and later we were left alone."
Continuing, he said, "there were lots of amenities that we enjoyed at NNB. It was the remuneration that was really the attraction. We were like a family and all that we needed was provided for us and some of us were even aspiring to becoming a banker at the end of our football career."
Omokaro refuted the popular believe that there were 'Mafia' in the Super Eagles then. "There was never a group known a mafia, what happened was that some of us always wanted things to be done the right way. For example, when Samuel Okwaraji first trained with the Super Eagles in preparation for an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier match against Algeria in Enugu, after four days we saw the vigour in him and we appealed that he should be included in the team. We had our way and he was included and aside from the fact that he had a wonderful game, he went on to score one of the two goals in the 2-0 defeat of Algeria. When a player is good we want him fielded because all we wanted was result. When allowances are not paid on time we protested and these were some of the reasons why some chieftains of the NFA who were not comfortable tagged us mafias," 10-10 said.  
If there is one moment the hard tackler hate to remember, it was that fateful afternoon of August 12 1989 when Okwaraji slumped and died at the main bowl of the National Stadium, Surulere, Lagos.
"It was a very sad moment for us to see a great player like that fall and die. It was terrible, I could not stand it. That is life and we would all go one day. I hate to recollect that moment," a sad Omokaro said.
Continuing he said: “The country has not been fair to Okwaraji and his family aside the Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola who immortalized him the other time, various governments had really done nothing for his family. Some members of his family are trapped financially which is not fair. He was a hero, and he died serving this country. Visiting members of his family would go a long way in uplifting the family, and it would give them a sense of belonging. Federation officials should visit the family and ask how they are faring. They might be having one or two problems which might not even be finance.”
In spite of Omokaro having no regret playing football, the father of three is discouraging his only son from taking after him. He rather prefers the boy concentrating on his studies. The former international said he would have been an engineer if he had not settled for football.
"I would have been an automobile engineer because I love cars a great deal, and I would have aspired to read engineering. But all-in-all I am satisfied with myself, at least am comfortable, not lacking and the Lord has taking His decision in my life and that is what I am complying with,” the father of two girls and a boy said.
Omokaro is now assistant coach of Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) of Ibadan.

0/Post a Comment/Comments